Google Penguin 2 weeks Later: Update, Clarifications, Tidbits to Know
What it is: New penguin updates issued 2 weeks after original launch, Danny Sullivan writes about it and clarifies some of the misconceptions.
Why it’s important: This post clarifies a few things that have been floating around about Penguin.
Key Things to Note:
- Some in the SEO community say it’s not as well executed as other changes, but Google (of course) sees it as a “success”
- Many of the problems being reported as a result of the Penguin update, Google is citing as problems that existed before Penguin update
- There are cases where Google might want to investigate more, but Penguin hasn’t had the same impact as Panda (2011) or Florida (2003). The Penguin updat impacted fewer sites than these previous updates
- Google continues to say that reconsideration requests will not help those hit by Penguin, citing sites who clean up the spam will recover naturally
- If you clean things up, you won’t get an instant traffic lift, you’ll see a lift the next time Penguin is updated. Penguin, like the Panda update, is a filter that is refreshed time-to-time. Penguin is more of a way for Google to tag things as spam.
- It is not clear if is only a site-wide penalty, Google wouldn’t say. But, the granddaddy of SEO, Danny Sullivan suspects that it is a site-wide
- Of those who received one of the 700,000 penalties, many had both manual and algorithmic penalties attached to them over time but they were never revealed.
- Matt Cutts confirmed that an email warning is a precursor to ranking drops. If the site fixes the problem and quickly submits a reconsideration request, it might prevent the drop from happening – so move fast if you get one!
- There is a list of WordPress Plugins that insert hidden links and believed to help fuel the spam that Penguin is addressing.
- Recovery plan:
- Clean up the spam you have created – on-page and bad links
- Wait for news of future Penguin Updates, I know it’s painful, but if you do the crime you have to wait the time
- If after the Penguin Update traffic does not recover, keep cleaning up and wait for news of an update
We have a Penguin report coming out, request a copy:
Read the Full Article from Danny Sullivan
Article source: http://www.seminhouse.com/2012/05/penguin-updates-to-know.html